Welp Pack It Up Were Done Here

Welp Pack It Up Were Done Here
France's former first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy says there's no need for feminism anymore.

"There's no need to be feminist in my generation," she said in an interview with the French edition of Vogue for its December issue.

This view comes seemingly at odds with her image as an independent woman who forged careers in both fashion and music before settling down with her husband Nicolas Sarkozy.

Now she says she is happy at home with her two children, baby girl Giulia, and son Aurelian, telling Vogue, "There are pioneers who opened the breach. I'm not at all an active feminist. On the contrary, I'm a bourgeois. I love family life, I love doing the same thing every day."Ah, the old feminists are anti-family chestnut! Sure. No feminists have babies ever. That much is obvious and definitely true. (Nope.)

I'm not sure, aside from "I don't understand feminism," what Bruni-Sarkozy is trying to say here, but I'm pretty sure she's saying she's too privileged to need feminism.

Okay. Well, good luck with that.

Thing is, there are still women without her privileges-even women in her generation-who still need feminism. I'm one of those women. And I find it pretty contemptible when women with the privileges of Bruni-Sarkozy demean the very activism that has afforded them access to the public platform on which they bask in the luxury of their disdain.

Origin: quick-pickup-rules.blogspot.com

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment