Kenny Chesney Opens Up To Parade

Kenny Chesney Opens Up To Parade
Yesterday we shared with you that Kenny Chesney was going to be featured in this week's issue of PARADE. Be sure to grab you copy this Sunday, August 8th or head over to parade.com/chesney for a sneak peek of the interview and see the photo shoot!Here is some of what you can expect to see from the exclusive interview between PARADE ">"You'd think I'd have been happiest in my life playing music in front of 50,000 people at Gillette Stadium. But let me tell you, it's an odd feeling to feel alone in the spotlight, singer-songwriter Kenny Chesney, 42, tells PARADE for this Sunday's issue. "I was standing onstage last year, and I felt like I wanted to be somewhere else. No matter how many people were out there, it all just felt like a blank sheet of paper. The country star recently spent his year off reconnecting with his family and hometown in east Tennessee, which culminated in his producing a documentary about the impact of high school football. The Boys of Fall, due to air on ESPN this fall, features coaches and players from the pro and college ranks reminiscing about their times in high school. It also highlights a few small-town high school teams, including Chesney's own former squad. "I felt as if I had lost my center, Chesney says, explaining why he took the year off. "But sitting there talking to those coaches and hearing these icons of the game-their wisdom and philosophies about football, life, marriage, and love-relates to how I am now trying to find some balance in my life. It's done more to inspire me than anything in a long time. I didn't see it coming. I didn't realize this film would do that for me." Chesney was raised by his mother, Karen, a hairstylist, who was only 19 when she gave birth to him and divorced soon after he was born. His father, Dave, is a former schoolteacher. Karen was a working single mom for most of his childhood before marrying his stepfather. She divorced again when her son was in high school and recently married for a third time. She was dating someone once and broke up," Chesney says. "And this stayed with me. She said, 'Kenny, I just want you to know I'd rather be miserable alone than miserable with somebody else.' That makes a lot of sense to me." The other misconception about Chesney is that he's not comfortable without his hat. The truth is he also learned to be follically challenged on the football field. When I was 17 or 18, I'd take my helmet off on the field, and I'd see hair in it and go, 'Good God! What's going on?' " he says with a chuckle. "It did bother me in college a little bit-going bald-but it doesn't at all now. What's ironic about it is that friends of mine in their 30s and 40s are just starting to lose their hair and are freaking out. I went through all that in high school." For Chesney, everything comes back to football. "When my father and I didn't have anything in common and didn't talk about anything, there was always University of Tennessee football, he says. There are a lot of fathers and sons out there like that. Last year, after my tour was over, me and my dad went to lots of games. It was because of football that our relationship got better. We even went to the Super Bowl. Think Kenny Chesney should play the halftime show at the 2011 Super Bowl in Dallas? Vote at Parade.com/Chesney.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment