Self Sabotage The Enemy Of Any Personal Growth Plan

Self Sabotage The Enemy Of Any Personal Growth Plan Image
Hi everyone, Todd here. This is the first of what I hope will be many guest posts on my personal growth plan. Since April 2011, I've been the Project Manager for VQ Success' sister company, Penetration Media and a student of VDT for about a year prior to that.

In that time I've lost 50 pounds, improved my family relationships, paid off 25,000 of debt and grown my leadership skills. You might be wondering why I still need a personal growth plan with the success I've had in implementing VDT. Wonder no morejust understand that personal growth is a lifelong process. There are ups and downs, peaks and valleys, beginnings and new beginnings along the way. One thing is for certain - there's plenty of failure to go along with the success.

LOSING CONTROL OF MY PERSONAL GROWTH PLAN


Recently I've felt overwhelmed at work, distant from my family, and I've started gaining weight back. I'm in one of those valleys so it's time to go refocus on how I was so successful throughout my first year as a student of Value Driven Transcendence. Time to get back to basics and focus on the fundamentals if you will. Even if this thought isn't running through your head right now, it's running through mine so I'll share it with you - in the spirit of transparency.

If the goal here is to sell a personal growth plan, why would I expose that it hasn't been working well lately?

Perhaps the goal isn't to sell a personal growth program; maybe it's to help you become the person you were born to be by showing you how it works in the context of my life. A plan is only as good as its execution. There are no magic potions, miracle pills, or profound thoughts that can instantly transform your life. You need to be an active participant, every step of the way. If you're reading this, you'll get to see up close how I reboot the application of VDT in my life and you'll know the results as I share them on a regular basis.

Let's get started



A STUDY OF SELF SABOTAGE


This particular post took shape when I began to examine an old skeleton in my closet - my uncanny ability to sabotage my own success. Seth writes about this in a number of different posts, like

Step Into Adversity, Watch Your Success Soar

Why Value Intelligence Beats Intellectual and Emotional Intelligence

Overcoming Self-Sabotage, A Lifelong Journey Towards Clarity

I have to say, folks, he's hit the nail on the head. For me, not being ready to receive the success coming my way boils down to my feeling of unworthiness.

"Who am I to want success as a personal development coach?"

"Who am I to think I can be a successful author?"

"Who am I to believe I can succeed as a voiceover artist?'

These feelings surround me and I actively rebel against success. I can picture myself on a Friday night, sitting on the couch watching TV when I could have been finishing a project that would lead to a new stream of income and bring me closer to my goals. So let's answer the question, "Who am I to think I can help others develop personal growth plans that will transform their lives and help them become who they were born to be?"

I'll break this down by the four main elements VDT focuses on. Below are a list of my accomplishments since I began studying VDT and before. Let's both draw our own conclusions and compare notes at the end.

HEALTH


* Lost 115 pounds since 2004 (50 of them in 2010-11)
* Recovered from 2 herniated disks in my lower back
* More muscle mass and strength at age 40 than age 20
* Dropped from a size 50 to a size 42 waist
* Dropped from a size 4XL shirt to a size XL shirt

Leadership / Entrepreneurship

* Became Project Manager of Penetration Media
* Helped 7 successful claims professionals gain promotions between 2008 and 2011
* Started and ran my own successful web business, including a website with numerous top 5 ranked pages in Google
* Past Club President with Toastmasters International

PERSONAL FINANCE


* Paid off 25,000 worth of debt in 16 months
* Facilitated Dave Ramsey's "Financial Peace University" at a local church

RELATIONSHIPS


* Transformed failing work relationships, building trust and forming lasting friendships
* Inspired family members to work through long time conflicts and establish appropriate boundaries
* Inspired my wife to begin her own successful fitness journey

Not too shabby, huh? One thing I can tell you for certain is I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked, "How did you lose all your weight?" The other thing I can tell you for certain is that, although it gets less uncomfortable each time I'm asked, it still is a bit uncomfortable to have people coming to me for that kind of advice. That vibration inside me says a great deal about how I see myself, still, after all the success I've earned.

REBUILDING MY PERSONAL GROWTH PLAN


When my employees come to me with questions about how to accomplish a particular task, there's no issue. Business as usual. The story changes when the subject shifts to my own personal success. My answers are awkward, slow, unclear. I struggled, at first, to even mention The Dieter's Last Resort. I still feel just a bit weird about promoting the program, even though I owe the lion's share of my weight loss success to what I learned from this powerful program. Self-sabotage?

Herein lies the key. Why do I still feel uncomfortable as the advice giver and endorser of The Dieter's Last Resort? If I can figure out where that cognitive dissonance comes from, own it and resolve to grow past it, I'll be that much closer to feeling comfortable and appreciative of people asking for my advice.

That goes for you, too.

Let's take this journey together with A Genius Awaits You, the multimedia personal growth plan I use to grow for the life I want, not the one I already have. (Thanks to Mohandas K. Gandhi for that inspiring quote.)

See you next time with another story of my personal growth plan.

Talk soon,

Todd




Tags: lisa leveridge neil strauss  dj fuji  david m  paul janka  neil struass  neil strauss  david deangelo ebooks  neil strauss las vegas  power talk anthony robbins  biotest alpha male  

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment