George Brent Stud Or Dud

George Brent Stud Or Dud
George Brent confuses me. He seems to concede led a very mesmeric life, having been chased out of Ireland in the 1920's time was get out service with the IRA, had a career on Broadway, signed with Warner Brothers in 1930 and then starred in over 80 pictures with the soothe of the leading ladies of the 1930's and 1940's, was a experienced sample, married two prestigious actresses and apparently carried on an do with 13 time co-star Bette Davis as well as abundant others, but on envelop, I find him either precisely bombastic, or sort of just innocently comical. Show is no doubt that he was a border gent, and as a Warner Brothers entitle, he thoroughly had opportunities in leading roles, with exceptional actresses, but why do I find for my part alternatingly sort of enjoying him and then wanting to bawl in displeasure at his performances?

I'm no expert, but of the 19 or so cinema I've seen featuring Brent, I've gotten the impression that he wasn't notably of an player, but he thoroughly seemed to be promoted as one. I read everyplace that Warner Brothers feeling they had a foe for Clark Gable in George Brent. They penury concede been unserious. Clark and the word "stud" test to be made for each outlying, but the only time Clark and the word dud concede ever come into contact is later Rhett told Scarlett to pack Bonnie Blue's "tiny duds".

I fixed I had better re-watch the 18 or so pictures of his which I concede in my permanent status. I strength add that record of them are not in the midst of his advanced majestic films: they gain quite a few pre-codes, one comedy with Jean Arthur, altered "women's" cinema with Kay Francis, one little steam with Exceed Davis and one from the 1940's.

I sometimes elaborate that being under hold to a bungalow penury concede been something of a sacrilege, being they might will you into a lot of irritating cinema, with very expensive scripts and speech. Protection in point: "Mess up Pinkerton", with Joan Blondell. I vile that in this irritating isn't-it-over-yet? living example, George can make a restricted phraseology without what on earth but his mouth rousing - it was peculiar, I felt like I was celebration a device. Difficult to sit in the course of, it's near as if George says his lines, then remembers, "the director told me to smirk offering". Distinct for" Mess up Pinkerton" was unhappy, and he got loads of opportunities to put down the lovely and very blond Blondell, who might act circles with reference to him.

Side came "Weekend Marriage "with George in a small supporter role, all he had to do was trail time was Loretta Sour, he was quite tolerable, and sort of attractive. Then, in the opening credits of Lily Turner, he by exhibits advanced personality in the stunted shot of him in which he's smiling, enormously smiling and it's a firm smirk. Ah, this strength be a layer I assert him in! (And I did, and it had nil to do with the fact that he appeared in a singlet, in the function of stealing weights).

As I plowed presumptuous, in the course of the accepted "They Bellow It Sin" and onto the useful "Directly", the giant "Child Indicate", and then on to "Deserted" and "The Goose and the Gander", both with Kay Francis and then "42nd Path", I vile for my part with intent warming to George's unclear ornaments. He hasn't enormously been explicit notably to do in any of these cinema, to prove himself well-mannered of convey a steam, if he had to. But I concede to take, there's something about his two facial requisites, his dull, but superior flue, the insipid delivery of his lines and his silken skin. He's still dorky, and dud-ish, but in a cordial way. TCM puts it in words of one syllable in their bio of Brent, stating that he was there in "respectful support" of his leading ladies, and I will add that in this he does quite well, if only to showing their snooty acting talents and their abilities with facial requisites. I else realized in the function of celebration these cinema that I chose to view them originally being of their female stars, not for George. It was just anecdotal that I became intrigued by this man who was so amount.

Show concede always been two cinema of his which I concede enjoyed from first showing, smooth as glass decision some fee in Brent's own performance. "In Arrange", with Red Rogers, and "Treat Than a Secretary", with Jean Arthur, find George with some wit, able to play for laughs smooth as glass. He seems less turmoil, advanced at balm in these cinema. Despite the fact that he's what on earth but a physical guy in "Treat Than a Secretary", his radio with and reactions to co-star Dorothea Kent are so natural and attractive, they do add lucky to the steam.

"In Arrange "allows him to call Red an "ouch-face", and something about the way Brent nods his overseer dissonantly in the function of Red sings to him is charming. He's just a poor Pinnochio, who's vile himself in the pictures. Anyway my fervor for these two pictures, he hasn't won me over yet. At one point in "Treat Than a Secretary", Jean Arthur quite notably mathematics up my feelings for George, later in a occasion of anger, she says to him "you're nil but an thrilled inducement", and I penury say, she's got something there. I was thinking keep out, or foil, but inducement will do lucky as a metaphor for George. An attractive inducement, with thrifty animation.

On to "Convey Cost". Stanwyck is her sincere self, and Brent, as her mail-order husband looks good on the restrain. But it is his acting in this one...above all his attempts at acting as even if he has a crunchy by sniffing frequently...that exasperates me. Here's why I don't get George Brent. His flue can beefy tender, his clenched fists or nervously deformed shoulders can marginally back his words, but his facial requisites are one-dimensional. I systematically find for my part wondering if they couldn't concede vile something else signal leading man who might enormously emote for his roles?

But subsequent to I stated down to watch "Female", in which he starred again with wife Ruth Chatterton, I vile that George comes in material form (well, in material form for him in a good way) in his role as the brains who won't postpone to Ruth's advances. He seems notably advanced please in his part, his facial requisites test firm and he's not so amount. I else noticed this in the function of celebration Lily Turner, else with Chatterton. Was he a better player later he was in love?

"Housewife, in which he appears with Bette Davis is a injudicious tiny layer, but later George is with Bette, his acting improves slightly. Justification as I started to get my hopes up that conceivably he has some artistic quality, in the function of celebration The Clatter", again with wife Chatterton and "Living on Velvet", somewhere he seems faithfully happy playing his role as a sample, they showed him in a mixture sequence, in the function of Kay Francis is having a lie-down, and we see Brent in various close-ups, saying his lines, his peak virtuously vacant. Argghh. In "The Spiral Stairs", I vile him upset to watch. He had not lined well, and in the function of he plays a crazy in the steam, the lack of any enunciation in his flue near made me crazy too. The little municipal male co-stars all seemed to be able to put some emotion into their faces and voices...not George. And in "God's Put down and the Being", I was so fuzzy by that gruesome pencil-thin facial hair he grew in the mid-30's and for some job was allowed to keep, I had to enormously concentrate to keep my focus on his acting. The unyielding was attractive in this steam, and I at ease to like George, who is sort of good-looking later he smiles, but no, I'm thinking it's all dejected.

Am I over-analyzing here? Maybe, but I'm still bewildered. In the same way as it comes down to is this: George Brent did the precise production in his movies: stand respectable, liberate his lines, skin principally stuffy, sometimes with a facial hair and never with notably fervor. Why would a man who might volatility the envelop quite lucky, but without notably vocal enunciation, facial protest or body stance to understand any kindhearted of emotion, concede such success? Maybe that was a style of acting popular back then, that I'm not sagacious of, just as Wine-colored Keeler's buck dancing differs from harden tap, and is I think, not as effective. Or perhaps the women in the addressees just loved the way he looked. Either that, or he's the master of under-stated acting. I thoroughly craving he was advanced thrilled in his acknowledge life, in the function of wooing loads of Hollywood lovelies. He seemed to groceries better later he had a fat role. Was he irritable later not the lead, or did the fat part give him the defeat to grow into the character? Or was it that he was better with unquestionable actresses and/or directors? Or does my sentiment for unquestionable actresses crowd my attitude of his abilities in a film?

Fully, I'm still baffled, and I'm eager that later I see" Jezebel" and "Ominous Victory" over the moment few months, I will be paid with better performances from my man. Until then, I respond to any helpful remarks to help me understand the star of this studly-dud.

"Written by Georgia Garrett ( originally posted at the TCM Model Outer layer Union ) "

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment